Investing in gym equipment for your personal use can help you save money on gym memberships and other charges. You also get to save time and efforts that could have been exerted to get there. On the other hand, getting your gym equipment allows you to exercise at your convenience. If you’re finding it hard to make up your mind about the type of gear to buy, here’s a review of three gym equipment that is great for training at home.
Spin bikes are a top choice for fitness enthusiasts who are looking to lose weight rapidly. Training for one hour on a spin bike can help you burn as much as 750 – 1,000 calories, with the exact amount depending on your age, weight, gender, fitness level. Some of the noteworthy features include:
- Pedals: A pedal makes it possible for you to enjoy the ride while at the same time support and prevent your feet from slipping.
- Drive system: Spinning bikes require a drive system to create motion. Most spinning bikes use two different types of drive systems: chain-based system and bet-based system.
- Flywheel to simulate the feel of an outdoor bike: Spin bikes use an open front flywheel, driven by a chain or belt. Spin bikes to be used at home should be around 40 lbs while commercial spin bikes have a flywheel weight of around 50 lbs.
- Braking system: Braking systems are usually made from fabric, leather, or magnets. They all serve the same purpose as they are to help reduce the rotational speed.
Treadmills are another excellent exercise machine that enables you to work your lower body and cardiovascular system with very little impact on your joints. They come with programming capabilities that make it possible for you to determine the exact minute, kilometer, and speed that’s ideal for you. Here are some of the key features of treadmills:
- Deck: Decks come in different sizes as it determines the length of the stride you can have.
- Belt: The belt is one of the most features of a treadmill as it determines how durable the machine will last. It is usually designed to be non-slippery to prevent sliding.
- Control panel: The control panel refers to the user interface, from which you can select your training mode, speed, and inclines.
- Motor: The motor here performs the same function as it does on other machines – powers the treadmill. It makes the belt run smoothly, so you get a better workout without accidents.
Smith machine (multifunction gym)
The Smith machine is a weight machine designed to help you load up weight with minimal risk of injury. This piece of equipment might not be the favorite of fitness diehards, but it is ideal for beginners as it can be used for squats, deadlifts, bench press, bicep curls, tricep extensions, and shrugs. It consists of a barbell that is fixed with steel rails allowing only vertical or near-vertical movement.
The exercise gear that’s right for you depends on your needs. If you’re looking to start weight training, you may want to get a smith machine; otherwise, consider investing in a treadmill or spin bike as they help you work your lower body.